Monday, June 15, 2009

Seventeenth...

at.


I hadn’t noticed it before, but there’s an abandoned house that comes into view first.

Apartments that are too expensive follow.

I never realised that the city was quite this green. There are lots of trees, forming what seems to be a forest, dotted by buildings.

Next, a building where a friend of mine used to work in. Haven’t heard from her for a while now.

I can see the intersection of two of the busiest roads in Kuala Lumpur from up here, Raja Laut and Sultan Ismail. Who were these two men anyway? In the mornings, it’s actually quite scenic to see the traffic snarl, it’s as therapeutic as watching a river flowing slowly. And in the late evenings, the never-ending streams of car lamps help illuminate the city roads. When these streams of light begin to quiver, it’s time to go home.

If I look straight down, I can see one of the reasons Malaysians are the way we are now. Three primary schools, side by side. I didn’t realize they were so close together. Learning pretty much the same thing, but in different languages. Walls separate their school compounds today, walls that we’ll try to bring down tomorrow. Bird’s eye view of the future I have of these children.

Looking up, sometimes I get to see a storm coming. Quite a show - the buildup of the clouds, the graying of the sky, sometimes aging the day by numerous hours in a matter of a few minutes. The rain pelts the window, but never indicating the havoc it will cause all the way down there. Gridlocks result.

I can see the Gombak river. The colour of the river seems healthier these days. A relentless heavy downpour still makes it break its banks though, and flood the minor roads behind this building, submerging the cars parked illegally and the Tiong Nam households. The metro heaves on above the river, on its tracks that snake with the flow.

I can also see the world’s fifth highest telecommunications tower. It gives the city skyline character, regardless looking like a massive baby rattle or not.

There is a somewhat resident eagle that flies the skies around my building. I haven’t seen him in the one week that I’ve moved to this floor.

Only after watching the movie ‘Cinta’ did I appreciate what a charming city KL was. Now, I am charmed by the city every working day.

I really like my new room, and certainly don’t mind spending hours working from here, with a splendid view like this. And with my cup of Ipoh old town coffee.

I turn back to my desk.

Two laptops stare back at me.

Now, if only either one was in good working condition…

12 comments:

Saya Yang Ayu said...

Wow, you are one of those lucky ones who has 24 hours cable TV that includes The Weather Channel, Traffic Update News Channel and Travel Channel called THE WINDOW.

But hey, the beautiful words you use to describe your cable TV proves that it is way better to sit back, relax and enjoy THE WINDOW rather than having BOTH your laptops working and making you work even harder!!!

Unknown said...

ayaz,

admire betul ler cara u meng'ayat'...hehehe

Idaman said...

Ayu - working laptops are not going to stop me either :-)

Tg, why go for a view only when you are always 5 mins away from the beach anyway...

And it's easy to mengayat when the thing being ayated is cun :-)Thanks Nas!

As said...

failed to locate the building *frust*

syu said...

i was hoping you nampak Ultraman sedang meronda kawasan or something. See, people always look for the big stuff for action/drama/excitement.. tapi benda2 kecik pun best jugak to observe..

hehe.

Miss Sweetylemon said...

see this is what happened when you got dumped, terpaksa enjoy view sorang2 ahahahahahahaha.... if not ada la jugak someone temankan u tengok view sama2 *wink2*

Idaman said...

Which building you can't find As??

Well Syu, Ultraman is in Terengganu trying to find the alien that destroyed the stadium...

And tell me, how is it possible that I got dumped when I was single to start off with??

zlee said...

beautiful piece :-) I'm kinda anti-KL (ooopsss) donno why... But reading this, made me think maybe I should go easy on KL... :P~ as long as ultraman stay put in terengganu.

As said...

The building from where u got all mentioned views. Obviously it's not from my wisma hijau ;P

Idaman said...

Well, anything from a distance can look good. Even Penang :-)

And it doesn't matter the name of the Wisma - we're looking at the same city!

Cik Sweetylemon said...

Oooh Ayaz Ayaz Ayaz... You are so so totally, incredibly, undeniably and truly fall under "Special Case' nih... Special people memang deserve special treatment sebenarnya...

Idaman said...

Special case...? Fine by me :-)

Did the tag...