Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pain is inevitable...

suffering is optional.

An ancient method of hair removal which originated in India.

Which to me should be confined to the dungeons of the Ripley's Believe It Or Not musuem.

The very image conjured up sent shivers down my spine.

Threading.

Where, nowadays, one pays someone to use a thread to pull out hair from the face... and until very recently I thought only girls used this sado-masochistic procedure.

I was at a wedding and was quite intrigued at the very fine line of beard that ran from the groom's sideburns to his chin. I've seen this type of beards of course, but only that particular day I began to wonder how it's done. I've tried using my Gillette Mach 3, but to no avail. Maybe I need to upgrade to the Mach 3 Turbo?

Trust the ladies to know how it's done.

"Threading laa..."

Oh...

Ouch.

Hmm.

This got me thinking.

I can actually do so many things then with this threading procedure, pain notwithstanding .

I should really try this out! Threading!

I picture myself coming home with a nifty thin line of facial hair running from side-to-side, a spiral here, a zig-zag there... :-)

I wonder what my dad would say. I imagine the conversation at home would go something like this:

Dad: So, what did you do today, son?

Me: I went to the threading saloon.

Dad: Ha? What for? Your company looking into the threading business? Hahaha!

Me: Hahaha, no. I actually went to thread my face. See my beard? It's now very narrow and fine and it's looks...

Dad: What? What??

Me: Well you see, I just discovered that threading is not only for girls and their eyebrows...

Dad: Never! Never has an Ismail man had anything other than sharp razor blades put to his face and neck! And you had thread??? Have you lost it??

Me: Wait, it was actually quite painful...

Dad: No! What has become of you?!? Can you imagine if people find out you did this?

Me: Well yes, that's why I was not planning to tell anyone coz they may not understand the intricacies of...

Dad: This is totally unacceptable! You must leave and not be seen around the house until hair starts growing from those threaded pores again!

Me: Sigh. Ok, see you tomorrow morning then.


It's tough being a man. I need to sleep on this threading idea.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehehe.. Ayaz, i still scream each time the indian lady in bangsar do my brow. and dier akan mengetawakan i sebab menjerit kesakitan. so i only do it on special occasions. heh.

Idaman said...

Hehe... thank god doctors don't laugh at us!

Anonymous said...

[ ~ ] guys + threading = *yawn... too common
[ - ] guys + threading = wauwee... sexy!

:P~

Idaman said...

[ - ] means straight issit??

Anonymous said...

[-] straight it is :D
kagumlah kalau buat... lambang keberanian sbb i pun takut nak buat... hihihi

syuhadaa said...

Ayaz, u know you can always hold the kakak threading tu punya tangan if u need to cry..

well, i rasa lelaki buat kt barber shop..
still the abang can hold ur hand if need be.

Go for it and show me the thin zigzag on ur face!

Idaman said...

Ahaha.... one day I'll give it a go, and will tell the story if I survive...